Achieving Security on a Modest Budget: It Can Be Done.
In a world where hackers seem to be growing in number and sophistication every day companies face a difficult reality: having to increase their security posture while maintaining limited budgets for defensive tools and the specialists required to manage them.
While fifteen years ago it was all about viruses and firewalls, today’s market hype centers on preventing the new emerging security threats. This leads organizations to believe that the answer is to invest in new security products often while ignoring the basics resulting in a significant gap in execution. In reality, a well-executed and well-managed subset of tools is always a better approach. Why?
Most breaches are due to poorly maintained base systems.
- Target’s recent security breach was a result of not paying enough attention to standard tried and true tools and paying more attention to implementing new ones.
- Research suggests that 95% of breaches can be prevented by more focus and diligence on existing base systems like firewalls, IPS systems and anti-virus tools.
- Gartner Group is recommending that organizations limit taking on new tools until they can prove adequate attention is being given to existing tools.
Other contributing factors include a high degree of turnover among security engineers and the failure of new security initiatives to deliver on their promises post installation.
RKON has a proven, cost-effective solution set that enables immediate transformation of a company’s security position for less money than in-house alternatives.
- Threat Management
- Intrusion Prevention (IPS)
- Advanced Threat Protection
- Endpoint Protection
- URL Filtering
- Web Application Filtering (WAF)
- Active Directory / User Rights
- Disaster Recovery as a Service